PTO Enrichment is excited to invite award winning illustrators and authors Brian Floca and Frank Remkiewicz to Hindley. Mr. Floca will present to grades 3-5 on October 5 and Mr. Remkiewicz will present to K-2 on October 14.
Mr. Floca won the Caldecott Medal and a Robert F. Sibert Honor forLocomotive among other awards.
Mr. Remkiewicz won the NYT’s Ten Best for The Last Time I Saw Harris and Bank Street College’s Children’s Book of the Year for I Hate Camping among other honors.
They will share the stories behind the books they have worked on and also interest the students on how they might tell stories of their own.
Students will see how ideas for some books first originated and then see how much lies between an idea and a finished book. They will see sketches, storyboards, book dummies, and overviews of the production work and printing processes that turn drawings into books.
Mr. Floca’s presentation will focus on these books: The Racecar Alphabet,Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11, Five Trucks, and Locomotive.
Mr. Remkiewicz’s presentation will focus on these books: Froggy Gets Dressed,Froggy Goes to the Doctor, Froggy Goes to the Library, Joe and Sparky Get New Wheels, Gus Gets Scared, Gus Makes a Friend, and Little Red Monkey.
Please ask your child to preview these works which are on special displays at the Hindley library!
Mr. Floca and Mr. Remkiewicz will also sign and personalize books. Please have your child bring in books you already have or use Amazon Smile to purchase the books so that Hindley PTO will receive a donation from your eligible purchases! Simply go to smile.amazon.com and select Hindley School Association.
This is the website of the Hindley PTO. If you have questions about anything posted here or can’t find what you’re looking for, let us know at email@example.com.
- The Hindley School website is located here.
- The interactive staff directory is here (email addresses are not displayed, but can be accessed by clicking the small envelope icon).
- Hindley bus routes are posted here.
- Lunch menus will be posted here (and you can fund your child’s lunch account online through the K-12 Payment Center).
- The District Parent Handbook is posted here.
- School Messenger is the service used by the district to provide email, voice, and text communication to the community (particularly in the event of weather delays or changes to the school schedule). You will automatically receive emails at the email addresses you provided in ASPEN; however, if you want to receive text notifications you must opt-in by texting any one of the following words to the number 68453: “subscribe,” “optin,” or “yes.”
Once you have used ASPEN to determine your child’s class placement, you can locate their teacher’s welcome letter (which includes a supply list) on this page.
(If you do not have an ASPEN account or are unsure how to access ASPEN, click here for instructions.)
The first day of school for 2016-2017 is September 1st. Class assignments will be available on ASPEN beginning August 25th.
- If you are new to the Darien Public School system and have never used ASPEN before, click here to request a user name and password.
- If you have used ASPEN before, click here to login and update your information (for each child) for the coming school year.
ASPEN is the system that Darien Public Schools uses to stay in touch with parents. The Hindley Parent Teacher organization uses a separate system to send out weekly emails and other announcements called The Wire. To subscribe to The Wire, click here.
You are invited to an informal “meet and greet” with our new Principal DJ Colella on Wed. July 20th at 7:00 pm and Thurs. July 21st at 9:15 am. This will be a great opportunity, before the school year begins, to hear Principal Colella speak and for a brief Q&A session. Please help us extend a warm welcome our new principal!